BEDD Research featured at 2016 AIChE Annual Meeting
Research from the Biofilm Engineering and Drug Discovery (BEDD) group was featured at the 2016 Annual Student Conference (November 11-14) and the 2016 AIChE Annual Meeting (November 13-18) in San Francisco, CA.
- Mahtab Waseem (a sophomore undergraduate student in Chemical Engineering) presented a poster titled: “Kinetics of Growth and Biofilm Formation of Vibrio cholerae in Presence of Potential PTS modulating Chemical Compounds” in the Food, Pharmaceutial, and Biotechnology session of the Student Poster Competition.
- Simone Stanley (a senior undergraduate student in Chemical Engineering) introduced her educational outreach project in a poster titled: “An Experiment Based Smartphone Education App for A Simple Introduction to Chemical Engineering Kinetics” at the General Engineering and Engineering Education Poster session. She earned a first place award for her presentation.
- The general conference also featured work done by Abiye Mekonnen (who recently earned his MS in Chemical Engineering) on the “Efficacy of Antibacterial Agents on Staphylococcus aureus Biofilms Based on Hydrodynamic Conditions and Nutrient Concentrations of the Growth Environment.” This work was presented by Dr. Ymele-Leki at the Bioengineering session of the conference.
——— ——— ——— ——— ——— ——— ———
- The BEDD team was accompanied by four junior ChemE undergraduate students (Anaiya Reliford, Bekuechukwu Uzondu, Diwash Bajracharya, and Okeoghene Osevwe) who received travel awards to attend the conference from the Howard University student chapter of the AIChE and the Office of the Dean of the College of Engineering and Architecture.
- April Howard (a sophomore undergraduate student in Chemical Engineering) also presented a poster titled: “Application of the Noh Problem to AI, Fe, W, Cu” in the Computing and Process Control session of the Student Poster Competition.